It’s 2022 and when you think about the popular occupations available, farming would almost definitely not come to mind. That’s why it is not surprising that the American farming industry, they are about to experience a chronic labor shortage.
This shortage is not new and it has led to immigrant farmworkers being at the heart of farming in America. So, let us help you as a farmworker in your country looking to move to America take advantage of this impending shortage. This article is going to provide you with the tools to find Farm Jobs in the USA with Visa Sponsorship.
However, we would start by talking about what farming is like in the USA.
Responsibilities of a Farm Worker
Farmworkers are usually in charge of establishments that produce crops, dairy products, and livestock. Most of the activities involved in this are outdoor activities and can be very demanding physically.
Regardless, here are some of the duties of a farmworker;
- Monitor all steps involved in the process of crop production, which can include fertilizing, harvesting, herding, and planting.
- Make educated decisions concerning crops and livestock by analyzing factors like diseases, soil conditions, and even market conditions.
- Maintain farm equipment
- Look after the farm facilities such as farm machinery and water pipes.
Sometimes farmworkers have to act as sales agents for the farm’s produce such as dairy products and crops. Some farmers also have to be financially savvy to record taxes and production as well as manage production and employees.
More on the financial aspect, farmers also have to monitor the ever-changing prices of their products in the markets. This helps them devise strategies to protect themselves from unfavorable financial situations.
Farmers also have to monitor and track diseases and weather conditions. This helps then keep farm production running as they would have measures to cope with these situations.
Due to the diversity in responsibilities, farmworkers can be split into various roles. Not everyone can operate the heavy machinery and not everyone can adequately spot diseases. So here are some of the different roles a farmworker might take;
Different Roles of Farmworkers
- Agricultural Managers: They are in charge of the day-to-day operations of the farms and other agricultural establishments for farmers or farm owners who do not live or work on the farm. While they do not participate directly in these activities, they hire and supervise these processes to ensure the smooth running of these operations. This sometimes involves them maintaining farm equipment and facilities as well as making budgets.
- Crop Farmers/Managers: They are responsible for the health and welfare of the farm’s crops. They have to monitor all stages of the crop’s growth ad that including planting, watering, fertilizing, and harvesting.
- Livestock Managers: Just like crop farmers, but instead they are in charge of the livestock. They ensure the animals on the farm are healthy to harvest livestock products like milk and other dairy products.
Qualities/Experience Needed to Secure Farm Jobs in the USA
Let’s start with the important qualities a Farmworker should possess;
- Analytical skills: Farmers should be able to monitor and assess the quality of their products and the conditions of the farm and livestock.
- Mechanical Skills: This is important for the maintenance and operation of farm machinery.
- Physicality: Farming technology has improved over the years, but farming is still a very physical occupation. This is why farmers need to be physically fit to complete these strenuous tasks.
You can work as a farmer in the United States without certifications or licenses, but having one shows competence and dedication. The American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers (ASFMRA) offers a certificate for farm managers called the Accredited Farm Manager (AFM) credential. This certificate is ideal for farmers who want to work as Agricultural Managers.
To get this certificate, you would need a Bachelor’s degree, farmland management experience, and ASFMRA coursework.
Education is important as well as farmers typically need at least a high school diploma to work. However, with the growing complexities of farm work these days, it won’t be a bad idea to have one.
Finally, work experience is key. In the farming business, nothing beats years of farm experience. However, someone with a degree in agriculture-related courses can use this to make up for the lack of experience. Regardless, experience is key for immigrant farmworkers. Their years of farm work experience can help them get jobs quicker in the USA.
How to Secure Farm Jobs in the USA with Visa Sponsorship
The process of securing a Farming job in the USA with Visa Sponsorship is pretty straightforward. You first off have to possess the required qualifications, degree, or experience. A degree in any Agriculture-related course would suffice in this scenario.
Experience is also important as farm employers always lookout for it. Your experience can be from working on your farm or working with a larger organization on theirs.
Once you have proof of all of these ready, you can apply for jobs online. To do this, you would need the help of recruitment websites that offer farm jobs in the USA with Visa Sponsorship.
Once you have applied and gotten a job offer from an American farm establishment, your employer would have to send you a contract to sign. They will use this contract in their application for your visa application.
5 Websites to find Farm Jobs in the USA with Visa Sponsorship
- Fasthire: This website is very keen on helping professionals develop. One of the ways they do this is by connecting job seekers to their dream jobs. They also offer other services such as CV writing and LinkedIn profile optimization.
- Indeed: This popular recruitment website offers jobs to professionals in various industries. You can be sure to find a farming job with visa sponsorship to the USA here as well as jobs in other industries.
- MySakariJobFind: Founded in 2019, they are an employment website in Asia that offers jobs from countries across the world.
- SimplyHired: Over 3 million employers worldwide trust this website to deliver qualified applicants. These employers aren’t limited to one industry, so you can find medical jobs here as well as farming jobs.
- Free Job Alert: One of the largest job sites in the world and with a great track record of connecting job seekers with their dream jobs worldwide.
Categories of Farm Jobs in the USA available for Foreigners
- Farm Workers: They are involved directly with the work done on the farm. This includes taking care of the crops and livestock.
- Small Farmer: They work with small farms to produce specific crops. These farms are usually owned by families who need someone to tend to them.
- Seasonal Workers: This set of farmers travel around the USA following the planting seasons and crop harvest. They harvest, weed, water, and package produce depending on what time of the year it is.
- Farm/Agricultural Managers: They are in charge of the farm and its workers. They have to monitor the labor of the farmworkers and ensure things are being done properly.
Salary Range of Farm Jobs in the USA
According to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual range for farmers and other agricultural managers was $73,060 as of May 2021. Their study also showed that the lowest 10% of farmers earn $38,200 annually on an average while the highest 10% earn $126,330.
These numbers however are not stable. The lack of stability in the prices of farm produce means that these numbers can increase or decrease at any time
Farm work might not be the most attractive, but it is a very important one. Food, clothing, and many other industries will struggle without farm produce and when that happens, we will also suffer.
So, take this opportunity to work as a farmer as not just a service to yourself, but also to humanity.
To find out more information on this, you can check the following websites;
- Websites to find Farm Worker Jobs in Canada for Foreigners
- 10 Work Abroad Jobs That Require Zero Experience
- Unskilled Jobs in The UK For Foreigners
- Agriculture Jobs Recruitment Agencies in Norway
- Unskilled Jobs in Canada with Visa Sponsorship
- Farmworker Recruitment Agencies in Canada
- USA Caregiver Visa Requirements (For Employees and Host)
- Non-Religious Mission Trips in the United States
Comments are closed.