KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose —college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
About the Analytics Team
The KIPP Analytics Team (KAT) is a highly agile team within KIPP Texas Public Schools with the purpose to rapidly increase the availability of usable, relevant data to all campus and department stakeholders. Our team’s focus is to equip leaders with the needed data to drive mission-aligned action and best support our students.
KIPP Texas is currently seeking a smart, motivated and experienced Data Analyst to bring strong problem-solving and analytical skills to a leading charter management organization. KIPP Texas is committed to using data to drive academic, financial, instructional, operational and talent improvement and decision-making. The Data Analyst is critical to KIPP Texas achieving this work. The Data Analyst must be as much a people person as a numbers person—collaboration and building strong cross-functional partnerships are necessary to be successful in this role. This position reports to the Director of Analytics.
Data Analysis & Visualization
- Design, build, and iterate tools and processes that help our organization to make equitable decisions (Note: In general, these tools and processes are created in Tableau and will cover student assessment analysis including NWEA MAP, SAT, ACT, and AP data)
- Work directly with school administration and organizational leadership across all of our regions (Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio) to ensure tools and processes meet the needs of our end-users
- Test, validate, and evaluate data visualizations for accuracy, performance, and alignment with organization priorities and determine the best data visualization methods to present information
- Collaborate with the Analytics Team to scope end-user requirements and project plan for advanced interactive and dynamic data visualizations to meet functional needs
- Contribute to our internal team’s knowledge management systems, documentation practices, and code review process to ensure that we build and maintain infrastructure sustainably
- Execute ad-hoc analysis requests and serve as a strategic partner by resolving end-user questions in a timely, friendly, and proactive manner via our data tickets
- Develop, and provide training to leadership and key stakeholders on the use, manipulation, and analysis of interactive data visualizations
- Support the Director of Analytics in delivering data, analysis, and insights from complex data sets that enable us to drive strategic priorities
- Lead assessment reporting to major stakeholders including our Academics Department, Team Texas Chiefs (T2), and School Management Team (Regional Superintendents, Heads of Schools, etc.)
- Partner with departments and school staff to plan and prioritize short-term and long-term analytics needs via our KAT Data-thon
- Collaborate with the Data Systems Team for data warehouse needs to yield meaningful analysis
Additional duties as assigned
Skills and Characteristics
Quantitative & Technical Experience
- Analytics experience, preferably at a school system or non-profit for 3-5+ years
- Mastery of Microsoft Excel
- Experience with programming languages, specifically SQL
- Experience cleaning, validating and manipulating large datasets
- Experience with Tableau Desktop (preferably version 2020.4.13)
- Experience with statistical software is a plus with a strong preference towards R though others are acceptable (e.g. Stata, SPSS, SAS)
Leadership & Execution
- Experience planning and executing data-driven projects across multiple departments and/or teams, demonstrating:
- Resourcefulness and strong problem-solving skills
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Flexibility, including the ability to adjust to requirements in a dynamic work environment
- Ability to gather information to interpret and articulate the needs of staff and team members
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Team & Culture
- Mission Alignment | Strong integrity and deep belief in KIPP’s mission, values, and our vision for diversity, equity and inclusion; commitment for the students we educate.
- Ownership of Team Culture | A passion for being part of a team-oriented, mission-driven culture where we are a Team & Family and see people first
- Creating Clarity in Gray Situations | Determines a path forward for stakeholders when their needs are not clearly defined
- Growth Mindset / Learning Process | Continuous learner, team player, and self-starter; values a culture of giving and receiving feedback
- Influence / Communication | Invests in building relationships and leads with both head and heart; engages with stakeholders in a thoughtful and deliberate manner
- Management of Projects | Comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and leading multiple high stakes projects at a time
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas’ competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.
See also: Companies in the USA Offering Visa Sponsorship