A study statement of purpose is a written essay that helps you communicate your values to an admission committee. It tells your reviewer why you’re a good fit for the course and what addition you’ll make as a student.
When applying to xxx, you’re faced with the task of writing a Statement of Purpose for Law and Dispute Resolution at Robert Gordon University and in this statement you have to address why you chose the London School of Economics and Political Science in the UK. So, we are presenting a sample which was submitted by another applicant to guide you when writing yours.
P.S: This sample Statement of Purpose provided here is solely for education purpose, do not copy it. If you need assistance writing yours, click here to hire our experts today.
How to Write Statement for University Application
When writing your personal statement, you have to understand and follow the this guide;
- Writing a good statement takes time, so be patient during this process. Don’t be shy to write and rewrite until you get your best statement. Remember that the quality of your statement will determine if you’ll be accepted or rejected for your desired course.
- Start on time; don’t wait until its few days to the deadline.
- Do a thorough research about the university and the course that you’re applying to. Learn all you can about the trends in that discipline and it’ll help you harness your ideas.
- Take out time to see what others who have applied for similar programs have written and you’ll be better prepared to start yours.
- Note: Reading samples online is good to get ideas of how to effectively structure your statement, however, it should not be a means to copy people’s work and pass it as yours. You may be flagged for plagiarism.
- When you’re set to write, the best thing to do is structure your statement into an outline. Have an idea of what you would want to cover at the end of the day with your statement.
- You can start by addressing those areas you want to cover differently without really connecting them. The idea is to have general points for the different sections of your statement and you can focus on connecting them later.
- Write expressively and don’t bother about correctness and grammar during this stage. Your idea is to first transfer your thoughts into writing and you can think of arranging them later.
- After you’ve gotten your draft, take a break.
- Return to the draft at a later time and take an overview of the draft you’ve come up with; the reason is to see the areas that your statement is lacking in and then address it so it can flow.
- After addressing all the areas of your outline and ensuring that they make good meaning, work towards connecting the paragraphs to form a single document that is well-structure. In other words, this is the point where you connect your paragraphs and ensure the stories/claims add up.
Sample Statement of Purpose for Law and Dispute Resolution LLM at Robert Gordon University
The legal system and how it is administered in each state reflect the level to which that state has advanced in terms of civilization, the administration of justice, and overall development. However, the reality of my everyday experience in my home country Nigeria has made it clear that the enactment of laws does not automatically translate to the intended effects. During my undergraduate years studying law at the University of Lagos, Nigeria, I began to see more clearly the weakness of the justice delivery sector. While the scourge of corruption continues to permeate the bones and marrow of the members of the bench, the pervading low integrity of the Judiciary continues to create fears in the populace’s mind. The rule of law, which is premeditated to guide the actions of the rulers and the ruled, has become a shield for corrupt governors and a blunt blade for the hopeless masses. The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, further emphasizes this menacing problem when he states that “corruption in the court is not confined to bribe-taking but encompasses issuance of judgments or orders based on any motive other than legal merit.” For this reason, I have become more interested in understanding the general techniques, principles, and social and historical contexts of law to solve this weakness which continues to pose a major threat to Nigeria’s socio-societal security and stability. Hence, Robert Gordon University Aberdeen is the best place to develop my skills in interpreting, analyzing, and interrogating questions of political liberty, social control, and ethical judgment.
My decision to undertake the LLM Law and Dispute Resolution at Robert Gordon University is that it seamlessly blends with my academic background and professional career experiences. In my undergraduate thesis titled, “Competence and compellability of witnesses under the Nigeria Law,” I investigated critically the issues relating to competence and compellability under the Nigerian Evidence Act. My stint in the Nigeria law school gave me an in-depth understanding of criminal and civil litigation, corporate and property law, and practical training to be a litigation-based legal practitioner. This paved the path for me to advance professionally. As a member of the Nigeria Bar Association in 2008, I was able to engage in intellectual discourse and exchange ideas with renowned legal luminaries in international law, intellectual property law, business law, law, and dispute resolution. This creates a rich and sustainable learning environment for me to learn how to solve complex problems, evaluate human logic, analyze real-life cases, and communicate effectively. As a legal assistant at the Borgu Local Government Council, Niger State, in Nigeria, I conduct legal research and draft bench memoranda and proposed opinions to assist the Judge in considering and resolving various cases. However, my interest in mastering essential dispute and conflict resolution mechanisms such as arbitration, mediation, and construction adjudication across international borders is yet to be achieved. This is why I am enthusiastic about studying at Robert Gordon University Aberdeen.
Studying LLM at the institution will give me access to learn under the direct supervision of world-class legal experts. The LLM program at Robert Gordon University Aberdeen offers me a golden opportunity to specialize in specific fields of interest, plus a dissertation on a Dispute Resolution topic. As a graduate of LLM Law and Dispute Resolution at Robert Gordon University Aberdeen, I could explore a range of occupations, either as an advocate or solicitor in a law firm with domestic and international clients. I can also advise on commercial and public dispute resolution as an in-house counsel.
I want to study in the UK because there are hundreds of multinational law firms, which provides me an excellent opportunity to learn and establish a successful law firm in Nigeria. As a result, it will help me to develop ways to resolve matters earlier, which benefits clients noticeably. Studying law in the UK will allow me to learn from its legal system and use the knowledge gained to recommend solutions for the inefficient justice system in Nigeria.
See other Samples:
- University of Plymouth, UK
- University of Algarve, Portugal
- University of Jyvaskyla, Finland
- University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Lund University, Sweden
- University of California, USA
- Brock University Ontario, Canada
- Ulster University, UK
- Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada
- New Brunswick, UK
- Uppsala University, UK
- University of Birmingham, UK
- University of Warwick, UK
- University of Toronto, Canada
- University of Hertfordshire, UK
- McMaster University, UK
- University of Bradford, UK
- University of Waterloo, Canada
- Birmingham City University, UK
- James Cook University, Australia
- University of Sunderland, UK
- University of Hull, UK
- University of Westminster, UK
- University of Derby, UK
- Coventry University, UK
- University of Oxford, UK
- University Canada West, Canada
Need Assistance Writing Statement of Purpose for Law and Dispute Resolution LLM?
If so, contact Fasthire today. We’ll look into your application and compose a good personal statement for your application. We have professionals who are skilled in helping students compose their study and visa statement of purpose/explanation and we’ll be ready to assist you right away. You can either use our regular, or express service depending on the urgency of your need.