If you are looking to kickstart or advance your career in Human Resources Management, getting a recognized HR certification can be the key thing that sets you apart from the pile. But knowing the right certification to acquire is a challenge for most people.
We would examine the importance of human resources to the growth and success of organizations, the benefits of getting a recognized human resources certificate and the most recognized certificates.
This article would help you identify the most recognized human resources certificates in 2021 amongst other things.
What is the Importance of Human Resources?
Having great goals, amazing strategy and a terrible work culture would make organizational success difficult. Human resources play an all-important role in developing the culture of organizations. This culture is tailor-made to suit the needs of each organization and determines the attitudes, values, and acceptable norms within the organization.
While human resources may not be an active part of certain goal execution efforts, it plays a huge role. It ensures that the rest of the team has a great working environment and functional systems for effective job execution.
Wikipedia defines human resources as the strategic approach to the effective management of people in a company or organization so they can help their business gain a competitive advantage.
The human resources department manages the entire personnel of an organization; catering to the recruitment, administration, management, and training of all employees. According to Investopedia, it is the division of a business that is charged with the responsibility of finding, screening, recruiting, and training job applicants, as well as administering employee-benefit programs.
Why Get a Professional Certificate?
Acquiring a professional certificate is the right step for every young career professional. The benefits of professional certification are enormous. Some of these benefits include:
- It helps you acquire current and relevant new skills necessary for your career. Knowledge can quickly become obsolete, but a professional certification can help you upgrade your learning and reveal areas of improvement.
- A professional certificate adds colour to your resume. Anyone can acquire a university degree. In a world filled with incompetent job seekers, a professional certification sets you apart, increasing your chances of getting the right job or climbing the ladder up.
- It commands authority. Like my university professor would put it, “a professional certificate separates the men from the boys”. Boosted professional confidence, increased job opportunities, and growth prospects; all come with a professional certification.
- Gives you the right edge. The competition for available job opportunities is stern, a professional certification would give you the edge you need while increasing your chances of productivity.
A professional certificate would broaden your cognitive and managerial skills, setting you out from the crowd and increasing your chances of getting the top spot in your organization.
Acquisition of human resources certificates is consequent upon taking human resources courses. These courses help to build and hone the skills of aspiring and thriving HR professionals.
For top-performing organizations and thriving organizations, a human resources professional certification is an indispensable requirement, as it is seen as a mark ofefficiency.
Benefits of Getting a Human Resources Certificate
Whether you are just starting your career in HR or already have some years of experience under your belt, getting a professional certificate in human resources is very vital.
Here are some benefits of getting a human resources certificate:
1. Increases chances of getting a higher pay
All over the world, certified professionals are paid much higher than their counterparts. A certified professional is usually perceived to be better suited for the job, for promotions and it is nearly impossible to land a managerial role without professional certification.
Increase your chances of landing a high paying job or getting a salary upgrade, depending on the stage of your career, by getting a professional HR certification. The goal shouldn’t just be to get higher pay, but it sure comes along with it.
2. Professional human resources knowledge and skill
In today’s world, a university degree is an introduction to the field. The teaching syllabus hardly narrows down to specifics and current-day reality. This shouldn’t be the case, but thanks to professional courses and consequently, professional certifications, there is a way to remedy the situation.
Professional certificates offer young human resources professionals like you the opportunity to acquire the relevant knowledge and requisite skills needed to succeed in HR.
3. Higher chances of networking with other HR-certified professionals
If what my professor said about professional certifications separating men from boys is true, then getting a professional certificate allows you to meet and network with other men. The people who would form your coursemates at this level would go on to become the revered certified HR professionals of tomorrow.
The professional courses are also handled by vastly qualified and experienced faculty of high ranking HR professionals. Being in the same classroom allows you the opportunity to connect with them.
4. Distinction from colleagues and counterparts
Due to the nature of the professional training – rich syllabus and experienced faculty, it would expose you to hands-on training and the latest tools and software for the effective and efficient discharge of HR duties.
This level of training would undoubtedly set you apart from your colleagues at work and in the HR space generally.
5. It provides a great boost for your career
A professional HR certification can easily influence a recruiter’s conclusion in your favour. Most job vacancies include professional certification as an added advantage.
It is easier for employers to trust a certified HR professional. The prestige and experience it confers is something every employer would reward. If you are looking to be a go-to HR professional, getting a professional certification is your ticket.
Most Recognized Human Resources Certificates in 2021
It is not enough to get certified; getting the right certification is as vital as the need to get certified in the first place.
To help you make the right choice of which certification to go for, here is a list of the most recognized human resources certificates in 2021.
1 SHRM Certification
This certification has been in existence for over 70 years and is largely the most trusted HR certification. As a recognized authority within the space, SHRM has her content regularly reposted and cited on blogs and other platforms.
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) provides comprehensive resources to help HR professionals grow their careers and gain more effectiveness at work.
SHRM offers two kinds of certifications:
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP)
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
Their exams are updated regularly and are competency-based – the focus is on the candidate’s ability to implement rather than restating facts and strategies. The SHRM certifications are valid across industries and countries globally.
Eligibility for this certification is tied to specific work and educational experience at the time of application.
2 HRCI Certification
The Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI) certification is one of the most recognized with regards to human resource professional standards. For more than 40 years, they have been teaching human resources and are one of the most respected when it comes to offering professional certifications.
HRCI offers a number of certification programs:
- Associate Professional in Human Resources (aPHR): created for newcomers to the HR industry.
- Associate Professional in Human Resources – International (aPHRi): created to suit international roles.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR): created for thriving HR employees who wish to advance their career growth and prospects.
- Professional in Human Resources – California (PHRca): specifically created for California local employees.
- Professional in Human Resources – International (PHRi): created to suit international roles, basically an advanced version of the aPHRi.
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR): created for reputable HR professionals who are looking to move up the upper ranks in the HR space.
- Senior Professional in Human Resources – International (SPHRi): an even more advanced version of the PHRi, suited for international roles.
- Global Professional in Human Resources (GPHR): created for top-level managers who mostly work with multinational corporations or have their eyes set on global companies.
Eligibility for each certificate varies but depends largely on the level of education and work experience at the time of application.
3 CPLP Certification.
The Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP) certification is offered by the Association for Talent Development (ATD) formerly known as the American Society for Training and Development. The CPLC certification is broad and focuses on a candidate’s knowledge and skill application prowess especially with regards to talent development and management.
The ATD recently introduced her newer certification – Associate Professional in Talent Development (APTD) certification.
To be eligible for the CPLC certification, candidates must have between 4 – 5 years of work experience coupled with the candidate’s level of education.
The corporate world has become hyper-competitive and this will not change. The activities of the human resource department are vital to the smooth running of any organisation. Hence, every HR professional needs to brush up on their skills and knowledge by getting certified.
If your goal is a successful career in human resources, this your reminder to go get a human resource certificate. This would open you up to more opportunities, give you an advantage with recruiters and set you up for success with the human resources space.