ABOUT THIS POSITION:
Expected Hiring Range: $19.21-$23.53/hr. Applicants who meet the requirements, will be considered for Senior Streets Maintenance Worker. The anticipated hiring range for Senior Streets Maintenance Worker is $20.94-$25.65/hr.
Work Location: Town of Apex Public Works Operations 105-A Upchurch Street
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 7:00-3:30pm
Closing Date: Open until filled. First application review starting March 22, 2023.
Join a team that performs work necessary to preserve the beauty and accessibility of Apex. As a Street Maintenance Worker, your work matters and has a direct connection to the experience of each resident and visitor by keeping pedestrian and vehicular paths clean and maintained. Outdoor lovers and those that thrive in a team-environment are encouraged to apply!
WHO WE ARE:
Known as “The Peak of Good Living, the Town of Apex is a rapidly growing Wake County municipality with a current population of 70,000 and was ranked in 2015 as Money Magazine’s Best Place to Live in America. Our current workforce is comprised of over 540 full-time employees and over 125 part-time/seasonal staff. Our Human Resources Department – with the support and confidence of Town leadership – is committed to providing best-in-class HR programs for our employees, with a mission to create a culture of empowerment and accountability that maximizes individual and organizational potential. We offer a generous benefits package, and have a highly competitive compensation program. More than that, the Town is an awesome place to work, as evidenced by the 96% job satisfaction rating received in the last employee opinion survey conducted with our employees.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING (DESCRIPTION):
Performs work, including a variety of unskilled, semi-skilled, and occasionally skilled labor tasks in the installation, construction, maintenance, and repair of streets, sidewalks, and storm water infrastructure. Work involves operating a variety of tools and light equipment to build, repair and replace sections of streets, sidewalks, curbs, and storm drainage systems; repair and patching asphalt and concrete; snow and ice control and removal while assuring proper safety procedures are followed. Employees are subject to working in both inside and outside environments, in extreme hot and cold weather, and exposure to various hazards such as insects and animals, traffic, loud noises, vibration, moving mechanical parts, chemicals, fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases, poor ventilation, and oils, and working in trenches. Work is performed under regular supervision and is evaluated through observation and inspection for adherence to instructions and standard trade and safety practices. This position reports to the Street Maintenance Crew Leader.
A SAMPLE OF THE ESSENTIALS (DUTIES & TASKS):
- Works as a part of a crew and performs semi-skilled and skilled trades work in the installation, construction, repair and maintenance of streets, sidewalks, curbs, and stormwater infrastructure.
- Operates a variety of construction equipment such as tractor trailer combinations, dump trucks, snowplows, rock salt/salt brine delivery combinations, mowers, backhoes, excavators, motor graders, compact and front-end loaders, asphalt rollers, street sweepers and other related light and medium equipment used in the work.
- Repairs asphalt and concrete with a variety of materials to include aggregates, hot mix asphalt, cold mix asphalt and concrete; may assist with street sign installation.
- Assists with proper set up of work site traffic control; helps ensure safe control and direction of traffic.
- Clears storm drains and maintains stormwater conveyance infrastructure.
- Applies rock salt/salt brine and performs snow and ice removal from Town streets and sidewalks.
- Installs new and refurbishes street markings and stop bars; installs, maintains, and repairs Energy Absorption systems (guardrails).
- Performs median clean-up and cemetery beautification and maintenance.
- Performs debris removal and litter collection along roadside right of ways.
- Uses hand tools and operates equipment to dig holes and replace clean areas for paving.
- Safely transports equipment and materials to and from the work sites in accordance with local and state laws.
- Performs operator’s preventative checks and minor preventive maintenance on vehicles and equipment.
- Uses a variety of system platforms including smart phone applications to document work and record work activities. Uses GPS to capture infrastructure that is not accounted for on the map.
- Responds as essential field personnel in emergency and inclement weather situations.
- Attends safety training and training on technical subjects related to the work.
- Assists with set-up and clean-up for Town-sponsored festivals and events.
Additional Job Duties:
- May assist with cutting grass with tractors, bush hogs, lawn and riding mowers, weed eating, trimming bushes and trees to maintain sight distance.
- Performs related tasks as required.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED (MINIMUM MUST-HAVES):
High School/GED and minimal experience in semi-skilled maintenance or construction work, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Possession of a valid Class B commercial driver’s license issued by the State of North Carolina, or the ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
WITH THE ABILITY TO…(KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES):
- Working knowledge of tools, materials and equipment used in general construction and maintenance work.
- Working knowledge of municipal maintenance and construction practices.
- Working knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work.
- Some knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances and regulations pertaining to operations of motorized
- Working knowledge of environmental and regulatory requirements related to the work.
- Ability to understand oral and written instructions.
- Ability to operate construction equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with citizens, supervisors, and other
- Ability to maintain simple work records.
The characteristics listed below are representative of the physical demands, physical agility, sensory requirements, and environmental exposures required by an individual to successfully perform the essential duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Employees may sit frequently or most of the time, may stand and walk sometimes.
- Climb Frequently or most of the time
- Crawl Frequently or most of the time
- Crouch Frequently or most of the time
- Kneel Frequently or most of the time
- Pull Frequently or most of the time
- Push Frequently or most of the time
- Reach Frequently or most of the time
- Make repetitive movements Frequently or most of the time
- Grasp, manipulate, small, precise hand movement Frequently or most of the time.
Sensory requirements include:
- Ability to convey detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly.
- Standard vision requirements.
- Standard Hearing Requirements – hear information at normal spoken word levels.
- Must possess the visual acuity to perform visual inspections and operate mobile equipment as well as hand tools and equipment in a safe manner.
Physical Exertion (Pounds):
- Up to 10 Frequently or most of the Time
- Up to 20 Frequently or most of the Time
- Up to 50 Frequently or most of the Time
- Up to 100 Sometimes
- 100 or more Seldom or never
- Work near moving mechanical parts Frequently or most of the time
- Work in high, precarious places Frequently or most of the time
- Toxic or caustic chemicals Frequently or most of the time
- Outdoor weather conditions Frequently or most of the time
- Extreme Cold, non-weather Sometimes
- Extreme Heat, non-weather Sometimes
- Noise Level Frequently or most of the time
WHAT WE OFFER:
Not only is the Town “The Peak of Good Living”, but it’s also a great place to work! We strive to “reach the peak” of being an employer of choice by providing competitive salaries and excellent benefits, including:
- Paid medical, dental, vision, & life insurance for employees
- Contributions to the NC Local Government Pension and NC401k Retirement Plans
- Traditional sick & vacation leave
- Paid parental, caregiver, community involvement, and bereavement leave
- 13 paid holidays plus an additional floating holiday
- Longevity pay
- Tuition assistance
- Expansive wellness program, and more!
KEEP IN MIND:
Providing a safe work environment for our employees is a top priority, therefore all new hires must successfully complete a pre-employment drug test, post-offer functional testing (if required by position), background verifications including references, criminal record and driver’s license checks prior to employment.
See also: The USA States with The Lowest Cost of Living and Highest Quality of Life
CLICK ON THE LINK TO APPLY