In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority, patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at VIHA; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Within the framework of hospital and nursing department philosophy, mission and standards, the BC College of Nurses and Midwives Standards for Nursing Practice, and the Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) Code of Ethics for Nursing, the Staff Nurse provides professional nursing care to clients as a member of a multidisciplinary team, is responsible and accountable for coordinating and administering direct client care utilizing the nursing process, provides direction to auxiliary personnel and staff, and responds to emergency situations to safeguard clients, visitors and staff
Education, Training And Experience
Registration with BC College of Nurses and Midwives as a practicing RN registrant.
- General duty staff nurse positions also require Basic Life Support, Level C. Post-basic education for clinical areas, and up to one (1) year of recent related experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Specialty unit nurse positions, such as Operating Room, Post Anesthetic Recovery, Obstetrics, Paediatrics, and Psychiatry, also require specialty certification for the unit. Up to two (2) years of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Critical Care, Emergency and Intensive Care nurse positions also require Advanced Cardiac Life Support and specialty certification. Up to two (2) years of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills And Abilities
- Ability to apply the nursing process effectively in a well-organized manner to the care of assigned patients.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to remain calm and to act appropriately in stressful and emergency situations.