Calling all Heavy Equipment Maintenance Students!
We’ve got your summer job waiting for you!
This a great learning opportunity to perform generally routine work in the La Crosse County Highway Department, West Salem Shop, to relieve Mechanic’s from work not requiring extensive skills. This role performs a variety of skilled and unskilled labor functions related to maintaining fleet assets. This is a seasonal position working mid-May through late-August. The schedule is Monday-Thursday, 6:00am-4:00pm.Associate Experience – What’s In It For You?
Supportive, collaborative, inclusive, and diverse workforce.
Career learning, development, and growth opportunities.
Culture of respect and dignity, teamwork, honesty, and integrity.
Serving your community in a purposeful and meaningful way.
We will be accepting applications until the right person is hired.
La Crosse County Respects DiversityEssential Job Functions
Demonstrates self-leadership, seeks out opportunities for personal growth and development, accepts feedback and demonstrates ability to learn and apply.
Shares ideas and demonstrates respect, humility, honesty, and open-minded thinking.
Demonstrates flexibility, acceptance of change and emotional intelligence.
Takes initiative and demonstrates the ability to think critically and strategically.
Participates as a contributing member of the team and brings authentic self to discussions regarding all aspects of the work.
Demonstrates ability to build and maintain effective relationships.
Keeps records and makes reports of fleet repairs and performs/coordinates preventative maintenance checks and services on fleet equipment.
Adjusts, installs and repairs fleet equipment and reports irregularities to Shop Superintendent.
Works safely and follows safety practices and standards of the Highway Shop and the County; responsible for reporting or correcting any existing or potential safety or accident hazard.
Assists Mechanics, Welders or Fabricator to relieve them of routine tasks.
Performs semi-skilled mechanical work on cars, trucks and a variety of construction equipment. Performs routine services and maintenance by established guidelines on all types of equipment. Operates/drives equipment to move it to be stored or repaired.
Verifies, enters and updates maintenance records of all types in a computerized automation system.
Works with supervision and assists Mechanics with specialized work.
Physical demands: Frequently involves bending, carrying, lifting 100 lbs., and crawling under and on equipment. Occasional heavy lifting of snow plow blades. Lifts and carries tires, mechanical equipment and other supplies. Mechanical hazards are a factor. Uses hands for carrying and using, tools such as wrenches, hammers, etc. Reads instructions and writes reports. Uses verbal communication with other workers. Uses near vision for tools and far vision for driving. Uses judgment to analyze mechanical problems and to prioritize work.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Basic knowledge of mechanical working of cars, trucks and construction equipment.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of mechanical hand tools and their use and application.
- Good mechanical aptitude and ability and manual dexterity.
- Ability to determine cause of minor mechanical problems.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work without supervision.
- Ability to keep records.
- Ability to use computer to research information and maintain records.
- Ability to drive.
Training, Experience and Other Requirements
- Graduation from high school or GED, preferably with training in industrial arts courses. Preference for current enrollment in advanced training at a technical school in a heavy equipment, heavy truck or automotive repair program.
- May consider other relevant combination of experience and training.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must successfully pass a criminal record check and pre-employment physical.
See also: The USA States with The Lowest Cost of Living and Highest Quality of Life
CLICK ON THE LINK TO APPLY