Tenure: Full Time
Salary: $61,084 – $71,131
Applications Close: 5.00pm Wednesday 15 March 2023
The Indigenous Community Support Worker Internship works to assist the Support Worker alongside local Aboriginal communities and families in the Wentworth and Balranald LGA, and Robinvale area to improve the lives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, young people and families in the community.
Working with community, the key focus areas include:
- Supporting children and young people to grow up in healthy and safe home and community environments, essential for them to thrive and reach their full potential.
- Make a positive impact on the education and employment outcomes of children and young people to ensure the future success of individuals, families and community.
- Improve community health, social and emotional wellbeing.
- Provide education and supports to reduce family violence.
The position objectives include:
- Ensuring children are ready and able to participate in school every day – from early years learning through to tertiary education.
- Improving youth transition to vocational and higher education and work.
- Supporting families to give children a good start in life through improved early childhood development, care education and school readiness.
- Improved health, social and emotional wellbeing.
- A reduction in offending, violence and victimisation in communities.
These objectives are met through the delivery of services and programs, developed and led by the local Community. Currently these services and programs include:
- Family and child support case work, including in home visiting and support.
- Parenting, development and youth group work and programs,
- Men’s and Women’s group work,
- Tenancy Support,
- Other local community engagement initiatives that meet the needs of children and families and broader needs of community.
This position is based at the Mallee Family Care Dareton office in NSW and outreaches across the Wentworth LGA and Robinvale. The position will also be required to work from the Wentworth shopfront office from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A person employed as a Indigenous Community Support Worker Paid Internship will be required to undertake further studies to achieve a Diploma of Community Services.
- A current drivers licence, a willingness to travel and preparedness to be accommodated overnight when required.
- Identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
- Be an active member within the local Aboriginal communities.
- Understanding of the importance of play, early childhood development and issues affecting individual and family safety and well-being
For you to be considered for this role, all applications must be submitted with a Cover Letter, Resume and the Key Selection Criteria addressed, which can be found in the position description.
For more information regarding this position please contact Maree Fullgrabe – Human Resource Manager on 5023 5966