Role Title: Customer Services Representative
Service Area: Customer Service Centre
Reporting to: CSC Team Manager
Responsible for: N/A
P rovide a comprehensive and in depth enquiry service for all the Council’s customers, attaining the best possible standards of ‘customer care’ whilst ensuring the most efficient use of council resources.
- Receive record and respond to customer communications via telephone, e-mail, and written correspondence as well as visitors to CSC, using comprehensive IT systems to capture customer contact details and complete transactions in accordance with CSC procedures.
- Using listening and questioning skills to fully understand customer needs and ensure that an appropriate response is provided. Seek to identify vulnerable and at risk people where referral may be helpful and offer appropriate advice for contacting internal or external agencies.
- Provide high standards of customer care to customers contacting the council via all communication channels.
- Deal with all Customer Services Centre cases, promptly and pro-actively, taking the case as far as possible to conclusion on the initial enquiry, and liaising effectively with service departments when necessary.
- Operate as rostered on either face to face visitors, telephone enquiries and administrative duties, providing cover across the CSC, as daily demand requires.
- Undertake any follow-up administrative work or system input tasks arising from individual caseload.
- Use comprehensive I.T. systems to manage enquiries, provide information and access administrative systems in other departments.
- Be aware of other services, which may be associated with the enquiry subject and offer additional information or services as relevant, including notifying customers of services available online.
- Ensure visitor/caller has contact name and information regarding any further action associated with enquiry.
- Undertake regular training within each Department and Service area to expand and update knowledge of
- Contact customers on a variety of matters as directed, including return calls and customer surveys of various types.
- Undertake administrative tasks associated with the operation of the Customer Services Centre.
- Share learning and information with colleagues on an informal basis.
- At all times, act as an ambassador for the CSC and Three Rivers District Council, assisting communications and/or liaison with staff in service departments, senior management, Councilors, members of the public and other agencies.
- Carry out any other reasonable duty compatible with the overall job objective.
- You may also be required to undertake administrative duties on behalf of the Electoral Registration Officer and/or the Returning Officer relating to the registration of electors and the organisation of elections i.e processing postal votes, canvassing properties during office hours.
Periodically, CSC staff will have the opportunity to apply for Advanced Representative positions when they become available. Those who are successful in their application will be advanced to Scale 6 in the range.
Advanced Representatives will be required to take on additional responsibilities to support the CSC Management
Team. These may include liaising with staff in other council services regularly to obtain up to date information on the service, changes to processes, issues relating to CSC service levels, etc. and mentoring/training CSC colleagues. They will be expected to have a particular aptitude for this work and training will be provided to enhance their skills.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Expertise
- Confident personality and customer focused attitude.
- Excellent customer care skills
- Excellent written, organisational and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and generate a good team spirit
- Ability to work on their own initiative, possess a methodical approach to work and have the ability to follow through a variety of tasks to satisfactory completion
- Ability to be flexible in attitude and manner in order to deal appropriately with a wide variety of people, problems and service situations.
- Ability to plan and prioritise workloads to meet the expectations of customers and colleagues, and follow agreed procedures to deliver the correct service
- Ability to acquire detailed knowledge of all Council services and associated policies, practices and procedures in order to provide correct resolution of customer enquiries at the first point of contact. Good standard of literacy (attained English GCSE at grade A-C or equivalent).
- Good standard of Numeracy (attained Mathematics GCSE at grade A-C or equivalent)
- Good listening and questioning skills (able to gather key information as part of customer enquiry process, select and or reject conflicting evidence, draw accurate conclusions and then give clear advice and guidance to customers on how best to solve their issues
- Experience of dealing directly with the public in a multi service environment
- Experience in dealing with communications from the public via telephone, face-to-face and in writing
(including resolving complaints and handling sensitive issues).
- Experience in using PC’s to input and extract information using modern Windows IT systems
- Experience of using Microsoft Office packages, including Outlook, Word, Excel would be an advantage
- Ability to operate a keyboard to record data on the council’s IT systems with a high degree of speed and accuracy
Council staff, Elected members, Herts County Council and other local authorities, the Police, residents and businesses of TRDC
Job Types: Permanent, Part-time, Full-time
Salary: From £23,953.00 per year
- On-site parking
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: Hybrid remote in RICKMANSWORTH