A personal statement is one of the important parts of the GKS/KGSP scholarship application. It must be well written to show your uniqueness among other students who want to apply for the GKS scholarship. It also aids the selection procedure for the students as it presents their different purpose for applying for the scholarship program.
If you are reading this, I suppose you are interested in the GKS scholarship and would like to know how to write a personal statement for the GKS scholarship. Good thing is, this post has the answers to your searches. So let’s begin!
What is a Personal Statement?
A personal statement sometimes called a statement of purpose is a document that provides the overview of a student profile to the scholarship selection team. It provides students with information related to their goals, interest, objectives, and some other aspects. A personal statement for the GKS scholarship is one of the most important documents that can make your chance of selection higher for the scholarship.
What is GKS Scholarship?
The GKS Scholarship fully called the “Global Korea Scholarship Program”, is an academic scholarship funded and managed by the National Institute for International Education, a branch of the Ministry of Education in the Republic of Korea. Its purpose is to provide international students with the opportunity to advance their studies at higher educational institutes in the Republic of Korea. It offers bachelor’s, master’s, Ph.D., and research programs to deserving candidates worldwide. In addition, the scholarship program allows students worldwide to study and complete undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees in the Republic of Korea.
Is GKS Scholarship the Same as KGSP Scholarship?
Yes, they are the same. The Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) is a South Korean government initiative that provides students with scholarships. Before this, they referred to it as KGSP (Korean Government Scholarship Program). The scholarship program allows students worldwide to study in South Korea.
Now that you understand the concept of the GKS Scholarship and the meaning of the Personal Statement, let’s move further to how you can write a personal statement for GKS Scholarship.
Importance of GKS/KGSP Scholarship Personal Statement
The GKS/KGSP scholarship personal statement is one of the important documents that can get you selected for the scholarship program. The personal statement for the scholarship should be written well enough to make a clear difference and to make yourself a unique candidate.
Guidelines for GKS/KGSP Scholarship Personal Statement Writing
Many of the students who want to apply for the GKS scholarship write their personal statements without following the proper guidelines. So, to make sure you do, we have provided the following guidelines for your GKS statement writing:
- GKS/KGSP scholarship program personal statement can be written in either Korean or English language. It depends on you.
- Make sure your GKS scholarship personal statement is of good length. It should not be more than two pages.
- Make sure to discuss your achievements, skills, experiences, and the goals that you want to achieve during your study program.
Tips for GKS/KGSP Scholarship Personal Statement
Before you start writing your personal statement for the GKS/KGSP scholarship make sure that you know what the GKS scholarship personal statement must align with these.
- Follow the guidelines that are provided by the GKS scholarship for writing a personal statement.
- You should focus on the main points that need to be discussed to make your personal statement good.
- Your personal statement should be unique to differentiate you from other candidates applying for the scholarship.
- Avoid unnecessary stories as you only have two pages to write down your personal statement.
How To Write GKS/KGSP Scholarship Personal Statement:
To write the GKS/KGSP scholarship personal statement you must follow all the things that are mentioned in the GKS scholarship personal statement form. Then follow these steps to make sure that your personal statement for the GKS/KGSP scholarship is well-written:
- Write about Your Motivation for The Program:
This is the first thing or points that your personal statement should include. You must explain your motivation and why you have chosen to apply for this scholarship program. Let them know your main motive behind choosing the scholarship program. Here are several things that you can include here to show your motivation for this program:
- Which course program do you want to study under this scholarship program and why?
- If you are applying for this program, then what is your purpose?
- How would you contribute to the community if you are selected for this scholarship program?
- How can you be a good candidate for this scholarship program?
- Why are you motivated by this program?
- Your Family Background and Education Background:
This is another point that you should discuss in your personal statement to make it good. Talk about your educational background and provide some information regarding your family background. Things you should focus on include:
- Provide concise information regarding your academic record.
- Discuss your academic achievements which you have achieved.
- What course program you have studied previously?
- Provide brief information about your family.
Have You Seen: Seoul National University Personal Statement Sample
- Any Experience You Have, Your Achievements, Person or Event Which Influence You:
To make your personal statement unique you must write about your achievements, experience, and person or event which influence you. These things will provide information related to how you deal with challenges and what you have achieved in your life so far. Discuss your experience which might be related to the work you have done or the things you have achieved in your life. You can also explain about any person or event which influences you in your life as well. These things, if discuss well can make your personal statement good. So, write about:
- Any work experience you have.
- Achievements you have.
- Any person or event who influences you in your life.
- Write About the Extracurricular Activities or Work Experience:
Your extracurricular activities or work experience can be a good thing written in your personal statement. This will make it unique from others. You can include:
- The extracurricular activities you have performed.
- The work experience you have.
- Any activity you have performed for the community.
- What you learned by doing the extracurricular activities.
- What is the reason behind performing such extracurricular activities?
- Write About Your Awards, Publications, Or Skills You Have:
If you have received awards, written some publications, or have some skills then you should discuss them as well in your personal statement to make it more unique from other candidates. So, write about:
- What awards you have received?
- How did you receive those awards?
- What publications you have done?
- Why have you written those publications?
- What are the skills that you have?
- How these skills can be good for you?
I hope this article has helped your GKS/KGSP Personal Statement Writing. Nevertheless, if you need assistance writing and presenting an outstanding personal statement for your study, Contact us immediately!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is the GKS scholarship hard to get?
The GKS/KGSP is extremely competitive. To gain a scholarship In Korea, you need to prepare in advance with an excellent GPA, have an outstanding portfolio, and if possible, have certifications and awards. Also, depending on the University and program, you would need a good level of English proficiency. It has been stated that applicants need a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of or higher than: 2.64/4.0 or 2.80/4.3 or 2.91/4.5, or 3.23/5.0. That is, on a 100-point scale, one should score 80%.
- What are the requirements to get accepted into the GKS scholarship program
To be eligible for the Korean Government Scholarship, you must meet the following requirement:
- Citizenship: Candidates and their parents must hold non-Korean citizenship.
- Age: KGSP-G: under 40,
- Health: Candidates must be physically and mentally healthy for their studies in Korea.
- Degree Requirements: KGSP-G: Bachelor’s or master’s degree.
- Grades: The cumulative grade point average (CGPA) must be 80% or higher; or The CGPA must be 2.64/ 4.0, 2.80/ 4.3, 2.91/ 4.5, or 3.23/ 5.0 or higher.
- Number of Scholarships: KGSP Graduate: around 700 grantees will be awarded annually
- How to Write a Personal Statement for Korean University
- How to Write a Personal Statement for Seoul National University
- Seoul National University Personal Statement Sample
- How to Write a Study Plan for Korea University
- How to Write College Essay for International Students
- Best Korean Recruitment Agencies That Recruit Foreign Workers
What are the requirements to get accepted into GKS scholarship?