Are you curious to know more about an open work permit? Well, you are on the right page.
The open work permit is a type of work permit that allows foreign workers and students to travel to Canada for a specified period to work for any Canadian employer anywhere in the country. An open work permit simplifies that you are free to work for any employer in any location.
Canada Open Work Permit Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Here are some answers about an open work permit in Canada:
1. What are the benefits of an Open Work Permit in Canada?
As a Canada work permit holder, you can qualify for permanent residence using the Canadian experience class. You are required to have at least lived and worked for 2 years in Canada, working full-time to be qualified for permanent residence. It will also permit you to work under any employer of your choice in the occupation you’re good at. Also, you will be qualified for multiple healthcare benefits.
2. How Long is a Canadian Open Work Permit valid Okay?
If you’re applying for an open work permit in Canada as a temporary worker, then you will be permitted to work in Canada for at least two(2) years or fewer. During this time, if you choose to still work in Canada, you can apply for an extension of the open work permit.
3. What Job Can I Do On Open Work Permit Canada?
If you are a Canada work permit holder, you can work for multiple employers in different locations. You can work as a:
- Part time Delivery driver
- Temporary Construction worker
- Truck Driver
- Assistant store manager
- Clinical Assistant
- Bakery Clerk
- I.T Assistant
- Room Attendant and more
4. Can I Work Anywhere in Canada with Open Work Permit in Canada?
Yes. A foreign national that applies for an open work permit in Canada is eligible to work for any employer in any location for a specified period.
5. What Should I do After Getting Open Work Permit in Canada?
If they have approved the work permit application, you applied for, you can start making travel and accommodation arrangements. But before that, you will get an approval letter, which is called the port of entry letter. Without this approval letter, you won’t be allowed into the country.
6. Is Open Work Permit Better than Closed Work Permit in Canada?
Yes, an open work permit is better than a closed work permit.
A closed work permit only allows the worker to work in a specific position and for a specific employer. It limits the seeker’s employment to just one employer. While an open work permit lets foreign workers work for any employer in any location in Canada.
7. What are the Types of open work permits in Canada?
There are two conditions you can opt for when applying for a work permit they include:
- Unrestricted Open work permits. This type of work permit lets a worker work for any employer of their choice in any location in Canada.
- Occupation Restricted work permits. The occupation-restricted work permit is a type of work permit that allows workers to change employers but can’t change their occupation.
8. How to apply for an open work permit in Canada?
Applying for an open work permit in Canada isn’t difficult, all you have to do is choose whether you want to apply for a permanent residence or temporary residence. There are various requirements for eligibility for permanent residency in Canada, and the processing time depends on your credentials. Also, whether you’re applying from outside or inside Canada, you can apply online.
To get the forms, you need to apply for a work permit in Canada; you need to get a job offer, Apply for the work permit and Visa, and submit supporting documents (passports, proof of job offer from your employer, police record certificates, education diplomas, your CV, and other necessary documents), undergo medical examinations, and after that attend the visa interview, submit the documents and wait for processing.
9. What are the Documents needed to be eligible for open work Permit?
- A medical record
- Police Record certificates
- Education certificates
- Proof of identity
- Proof of relationships
- Proof of employment
- A valid Passports
10. How much does it cost to apply for an open work permit in Canada?
The price for an open work permit varies depending on your application.
Work permit processing (includes extensions) per 1 person $155
Open work permit holder $100
11. Can I leave and come back to Canada if I have a work permit?
Yes. However, A work permit isn’t a travel document, which means you can’t leave and re-enter Canada however you want. You need to acquire a valid passport for that.
12. How to Extend work Permits in Canada?
If your permit is valid for at least 30 days before expiration, you can apply to extend it in Canada. You can extend your work permit online by Submitting your application. You will need to submit your documents and pay processing fees for the application.
If Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) accept your application. You will get an extension of your work permit.
13. Can I Work with an Expired work permit?
If you already applied to extend your work permit before your initial permit expired, then you’re free to work without a work permit until there is a result in your work permit. However, if you did not apply for an extension in work permit beforehand, you must stop working.
14. How long does it take to process my work permit application?
The time it takes to process a work permit application varies depending on the type of application you submitted.
15. Medical conditions to be imposed for an unrestricted open work permit?
To be qualified for an unrestricted work permit, you need to have a result of M1, M2, or M3 in your medical examination.
16. How can I be eligible for an open work permit?
To be eligible for an open work permit, you need to submit all necessary documents, pay for the permit
17. How do I get an application form?
You have to download the application.
18. I need both a permit and a visa. What fees do I pay?
You only need to pay for the work permit. You won’t be charged for the visa fee if you’re only going there to work.
19. When I entered Canada, the immigration officer gave me a work permit that says ‘does not allow re-entry, what does it mean?
It means you can’t leave and re-enter Canada. To be able to do that you need a valid passport
20. What are the Reasons for a work permit application to be refused?
Receiving a work permit refusal can only be done if you do not meet the criteria for the work permit you submitted.
The Canadian Open work permit requires paperwork that can be confusing. However, you must meet up with the requirements before final submission. We hope this article is a helpful guide to your search.
- Canada International Student work Permit
- Top Countries to study and Work as a International Student
- What is Letter of Explanation for Canada Visa? (FAQ, Sample& Guide)
- List of Canadian Employers Looking for Foreign Workers